Asus wifi AP re-writing DNS packets

Anurag Bhatia me at anuragbhatia.com
Mon Nov 2 16:39:16 UTC 2020

Hi Alarig

I tried that but somehow DNS traffic still does not work. I tried adding
rules in prerouting as well and still no impact.

anurag at RT-AC58U:/tmp/home/root# iptables -t nat  -L PREROUTING -v -n
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT 25 packets, 3147 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination
  672 46143 ACCEPT     udp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0
0.0.0.0/0            udp dpt:53
    0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0
0.0.0.0/0            tcp dpt:53
anurag at RT-AC58U:/tmp/home/root# iptables -t nat  -L -v -n
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT 63 packets, 10481 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination
  993 68310 ACCEPT     udp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0
0.0.0.0/0            udp dpt:53
    0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0
0.0.0.0/0            tcp dpt:53

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 46 packets, 8909 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination
    0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0
0.0.0.0/0            tcp dpt:53
    0     0 ACCEPT     udp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0
0.0.0.0/0            udp dpt:53
anurag at RT-AC58U:/tmp/home/root#

>From my client behind Asus Wifi AP:

 dig @1.1.1.1 whoami.akamai.net

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> @1.1.1.1 whoami.akamai.net
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd

Whether or not I have these rules, I see no traffic on port 53 when doing
tcpdump on the core router (in the North of Asus wifi AP). So clearly
firewall rules are not working.
Please suggest if you see something wrong here.

Also, in meantime, I heard from Asus and their support mentioned that this
re-writing is intentional and is done so that end users can access device
on router.asus.com hostname. I requested them to make this feature optional
so that at least folks like us can disable it. Let's see how that goes.

Thanks.

--
Anurag Bhatia
anuragbhatia.com