RFC6550 (RPL) and RFC6775 (IPv6 Neighbor Discovery for 6LoWPANs)

Etienne-Victor Depasquale edepa at ieee.org
Fri May 29 15:49:09 UTC 2020

Hello folks,

I'm not sure whether this is within scope as it regards LoWPANs ... please
chastise freely and ignore if LoWPANs are out of scope.

While trying to build a holistic view of LoWPANs, I'm consulting the IETF's
informational and standards documents.

I'm struck by the impression that, despite the significance of RFC6775's
extension of Neighbor Discovery(ND) to low-power and lossy networks (LLNs),
it is largely ignored by RFC6550 (RPL), with little to no reference to the
ontological plane created in RFC6775's terminology section.

For example:

(a) router advertisements and router solicitations are substituted by DAG
information objects (DIO) and DAG information solicitations (DIS)
(b) the terms "mesh-under" and "route-over" (widely cited), defined in
RFC6775, are absent from RFC6550
(c) jarringly: RFC6775 describes the route-over topologies as multi-IP-hop,
while RFC6550 gathers DODAG nodes within the confines of the same IPv6
prefix as their border router - no multiple IP hops.

Can anyone confirm or contradict this impression?

Cheers,

Etienne

--
Ing. Etienne-Victor Depasquale