Did I miss a problem: FCC and CISA stress need for access during pandemic

Benson Schliesser bensons at queuefull.net
Wed May 27 04:29:55 UTC 2020

Good question -

Of the listed “key points” the first and second, regarding designation as
essential employees, has been explicitly included in the several state and
county orders that I’ve personally read. By no means a complete survey, but
at least some locales are aware of the issue.

The only one that I’ve heard is (anecdotally) a problem is the last one,
regarding permits. E.g. in some cases state, county, and/or local
permitting offices have been operating slower than usual or simply closed.
In some cases because they’re reliant on agents, inspectors, etc, who
aren’t considered essential...

But this seems like more of an issue for new deployments (e.g. 5G masts)
rather than security and/or maintaining existing infrastructure. Not to
diminish the importance of new infrastructure, but it’s a mixed bag - some
of it is about connecting people in need, some of it is driven
predominantly by business / competitive concerns.

I’d be interested to hear others’ experiences if they can illuminate more.

Thanks,
- Benson