Contact at Ubiquiti Networks?

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Tue May 26 14:08:24 UTC 2020

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 01:43:02PM +0000, Mel Beckman wrote:
> I deploy Ubiquiti equipment quite a bit, both in WLANs and WISP
> distribution networks. It???s excellent quality at a dirt cheap
> price. As with all software-based products, there will be bugs.
> Your or my pet bug may never get fixed, based on market demand.
> That???s simply capitalism, not low quality. None of us can
> afford to pay for perfection, because it would never ship.

Bugs exist in hardware products too.  The difference is that with the
software products, you'd hope for them to be fixed, whereas the ones
in hardware generally turn into RMA.

My current pet peeves with Ubiquiti are all on the router side of
things.  OSPFv3 (IPv6) doesn't work correctly past EdgeOS v1.10.9,
and their BGP blows chunks - I've got an Infinity connected to a
pair of route reflectors handling a single IX (two route servers)
and it loses its mind, with the bgpd process actually going away.

Whether that's Ubiquiti's fault or should be blamed on ZebOS is a
debatable question.  If you've got a vendor supplying your routing
software, it seems like fixing advertised features that are clearly
broken would be a matter of applying pressure on the upstream vendor
whose code used to work and then was broken, not a matter of "market
demand."

What's not debatable is that this has been the status quo for around
nine months.  That's nine months without proper IPv6 support.  And
this is their high end 10G full BGP tables router.  Buyer beware.

The wifi side of things?  Yes, the Ubiquiti stuff is very inexpensive
and it provides better value-per-dollar than just about anything else
out there.

... JG
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way
through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that
democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"-Asimov