An appeal for more bandwidth to the Internet Archive

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed May 13 23:44:46 UTC 2020

On Wed, 13 May 2020 10:40:36 +0300, Denys Fedoryshchenko said:
> What about introducing some cache offloading, like CDN doing? (Google,
> Facebook, Netflix, Akamai, etc)
> I think it can be rolled pretty quickly, with minimum labor efforts, at
> least for heavy content.

The thing is that if you're an 800 pound gorilla, you probably have enough
things that would benefit from being cached to make it worthwhile.

I'd expect that the Internet Archive is probably mostly long-tail hits with not
much hot content.  Has anybody modeled how much cache space would it take to
significantly improve the bandwidth situation?