Throughput issues on Wave G/CondoInternet (Redmond, WA)

Neel Chauhan neel at neelc.org
Sun May 10 20:41:22 UTC 2020

Hi NANOG mailing list,

I have Wave G "Gigabit" service in Redmond, WA, and download speeds have
been slow. Wave G is Wave Broadband's MDU-focused Gigabit offering, and
was formerly CondoInternet, although I joined only this year on a Wave
G-branded service.

To Seattle, I cap at about 600-750 Mbps download while I get 900 Mbps
uploads. To servers far away, it does gown to 10-30 Mbps while I can
upload at 200-500 Mbps. The downloads speeds are far lower than what's
normal from TCP (I **do** know higher latency == slower downloads).

The issue appears to be the window size being smaller on downloads on
the routers on Wave G's side and that limits download throughput.

This is a Wireshark screenshot of a download test:
https://i.imgur.com/2gXbNSZ.png

The green line is the window size, and the blue line is the outstanding
bytes.

In comparison, this is a Wireshark screenshot of an upload test:
https://i.imgur.com/WOGvpWx.png

The download test shows a small window size and spikes in the
outstanding bytes and this gets reset very often after the first
increase instead of gradually using the pipe's full capacity and then
resetting, showing the window size can't get higher.

The upload test shows a larger window size and a sawtooth shape of the
outstanding bytes which is what should normally happen.

This happens on both FreeBSD 13-CURRENT and Windows 10, both hardwired
and Wi-Fi. My work Windows 10 PC via RDP and personal FreeBSD VPS
servers have no issues whatsoever to the same exact servers, both being
in the Seattle metro.

"Tech Support" hasn't been helpful since they insist on a tech visit
which I believe isn't needed ("Wave G" isn't Wave's DOCSIS offering, no
HFC issues here), or blame the issue on something outside their network
(these issues **don't** exist outside Wave G). Ziply/Frontier and
CenturyLink aren't available here, and why would I go to Comcast's
overpriced, asymmetrical, capped garbage?

If someone works for Wave Broadband, or more specifically on the Wave G
service, please shoot me an private email so we can get this resolved
(and I can share my service details and pcap file if necessary in the
said private email).

-Neel Chauhan

===

https://www.neelc.org/