alternative to voip gateways

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Mon May 11 01:05:38 UTC 2020

On 5/10/20 5:56 PM, Nick Edwards wrote:
> yes, POTS is the critical bit, the internet/data is an extra without
> guarantee, ie it is not a critical component, voice is.

Voice may be a critical component regulationwise, especially with CO
based battery backup. But in the rest of life IP bits are way more
important. I can get a generator to run my CPE and router, but if the
provider can't be bothered to power the first hop, then i'm pretty well
screwed. In California during PG&E's massive power outages you couldn't
get E911 even if you had power to your CPE in way too many cases. This
is was a huge fail.

Mike