alternative to voip gateways

Clayton Zekelman clayton at MNSi.Net
Sun May 10 17:31:03 UTC 2020

When we do DSL, we service everything out of
ADSL2+ combo cards on Zhone MXK gear.

-Integrated metallic testing on the combo cards helps reduce truck rolls
-Having dialtone on the pair helps with
identifying pairs in the field using ANAC
-Having dialtone on a pair provides sealing current
-Having dialtone on a pair stops other techs from
"stealing" the pair for something else, because they think it isn't in use
-Derived voice (VoIP on CPE) makes the voice more
subject to line impairments, etc.

At peak we had around 6000 leased CLEC copper pairs from the local ILEC.

Just notes from personal experience.

--

Clayton Zekelman
Managed Network Systems Inc. (MNSi)