alternative to voip gateways

Nick Edwards nick.z.edwards at gmail.com
Sun May 10 12:51:29 UTC 2020

On 5/8/20, Baldur Norddahl <baldur.norddahl at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 11:14 AM Masataka Ohta <
> mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp> wrote:
>

>> Investment for FTTH is 10 times or more than that for plain DSL.
>>

> We are assuming the copper plant is already there otherwise I will
> respectfully disagree.
>
> However the economic is not as simple as you might think. Lets do some
> calculations.
>
> Assume we can build the fiber plant for 1 million USD (*). This fiber can
> be depreciated over 25 years. That means we only take USD 40,000/year of
> the company profit.
>
> The copper plant is already there but the DSLAM is missing. Assume USD 100
> per port plus USD 100 per DSL CPE. This equipment can only be depreciated
> over 5 years. With 1700 ports this gives USD 68,000/year of the company
> profit.

a 48 port dslam is 2200 (still awaiting cots  on line cards for above
mentioned chassis) so its about 45 per port, CPE is about 50 a device
in bulk (inc 4 gb ports, wifi)

The copper exists, there is no ripping it out

Due to location RF links are used for data, so no need to give each
cabin "future proof" since unless a carrier will run fibre to us for
100's miles at their cost - it just aint happenin,  the cost is
extremely prohibitive.