How to manage Static IPs to customers

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Fri May 8 21:01:13 UTC 2020

Aaron, I was thinking something similar. I've never once had a node
split require moving a customer to a different CMTS. Even the very old
and (relatively) low capacity 7200 VXR could serve several nodes per
line card and supported several line cards per chassis. Newer cBR8, E6k,
and the like can serve many many times more customers across dozens of
nodes. Every L3 CMTS I've worked on uses something akin to ip unnumbered
so as long as the customer stays on the same CMTS, their IP address will
continue to work regardless of what interface or line card their
connection terminates on.