How to manage Static IPs to customers

edwin.mallette at gmail.com edwin.mallette at gmail.com
Fri May 8 14:32:33 UTC 2020

So in most cases I'm aware of, the cable provider did not use RIP directly
to a customer-managed device.  The cable operator would deploy their own
managed device, implement RIP and the appropriate keychains between the
operator-managed premise device and the CMTS.  As for the use cases, RIP was
implemented to address the specific 'recombine' use case where one day (or
evening) cable customer attachments could be moved from one CMTS to another.
Instrumenting that with DHCP or TR69 usually required other teams'
involvement and didn't allow portability.

With IPv6 you get PD which helps immensely.

Ed