alternative to voip gateways

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Thu May 7 19:04:51 UTC 2020

On 5/7/20 12:03 PM, Mel Beckman wrote:
> In the OP’s case however, the copper plant is private, and wholly owned and already in operation. So surely in that situation fiber would be much more expensive to dig and trench.

Indeed, I was responding to Ohta's comments regarding copper vs. fiber.  In this case, using DSL over the existing plant seems like a slam dunk unless very high speeds are needed or the plant is in very poor condition.  Modern VDSL/2 DSLAMs are relatively inexpensive and will push 100Mbps over surprising distances with essentially seamless fallback to ADSL2+ at ~24Mbps for long-reach situations.
--
Brandon Martin