Measuring packet loss and Latency Between eastern Europe and north america

Matt Erculiani merculiani at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 20:16:48 UTC 2020

Don’t forget you can use any port/protocol for MTR and traceroute, which is
basically all the fancy apps will do, just automatically.

$ mtr -T -P 443  den01.example.com

This will send 443 tcp syn packets that should bypass icmp filtering or
rate limiting. Note this does not help if icmp responses are rate limited
at intermediate hops, but then again, nothing would.

As always, our good friend MANuel is here to help:
https://linux.die.net/man/8/mtr

-M

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 5:02 PM LTGJAMAICA <popsychin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a customer in eastern Europe accessing a SAAS application hosted in
> one of Azure's north America datacenters. for the past few days every
> morning between 3am and 6am est performance slows to crawl. This is person
> is like 8am to 11am locally so they cant get much done.
>
> The local ISP is providing 100mbps up/down.
>
> So far speed test to Saas providers speed test page is slow 0.02mbps down
> 6 mbps up
>
> Speedtest.net to north American ISPs like Verizon in New York slow
>
> Speedtest to servers in Easter europe 100 up 100 down
>
> Traceroutes/MTR dont help because a lot of hops seem to drop icmp packets
>
> Need a tool or service that can detect packet loss/latency between
> provider in eastern europe and a north american service provider. Any help
> is appreciated
>

> --
Matt Erculiani
ERCUL-ARIN