[EXT] Re: rack rails

Tore Anderson tore at fud.no
Mon Mar 30 15:52:43 UTC 2020

* Cummings, Chris

> Now that you say that, I think you're right. I am referring specifically to the EX4650 and they are the cheesy type where the rear half of the rail stays screwed in to the rack and the front half of the rail is attached to the switch. I assume it is the same on the QFX since they are very similar platforms. Basically they are that annoying type between rack ears and sliding rails where the device can separate completely from the rails.

Looking at the documentation (linked below), it would appear the EX4650 has the exact same rack-mount kit as the EX4500 and EX4600 do.

They all share the fundamental problem I'm taking about, namely that there are fixed mounting ears on the port side of the switch, which prevent removal through the cold aisle (assuming data centre/PSU-to-port airflow).

The "sliders" are really just there to prevent the PSU end of the switch to sag.

Tore

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/junos/information-products/topic-collections/hardware/ex-series/ex4650/quick-start-ex4650.pdf (page 6)