[EXT] Re: rack rails

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Mon Mar 30 15:42:23 UTC 2020

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 05:27:44PM +0200, Tore Anderson wrote:
> * Chuck Anderson
>
> > The point is that the switches need to be removable without empty
> > space above/below, and ideally from the rear side of the rack.  By
> > having extending/sliding rails, you can lift out or drop in the switch
> > after you slide it out.  Then you can remove the rails.
> >
> > With fixed rails, you can't get the switch out without bending the ear
> > part of the rails when there are PDUs and other stuff in the way.
>
> Not necessarily. Even sliding rails must be constructed in a way that facilitates removal through the cold aisle side of the rack. That's not a given.
>
> One example of sliding rails that unfortunately do *not* allow for removal that way is the Edge-Core RKIT-100G-SLIDE:
>
> https://www.redpill-linpro.com/techblog/2020/01/17/new-routers.html (Ctrl+F Bonus)

I'd be happy with removal from the hot aisle, because I've already had to do that many times and if you manage cable routing properly it isn't as much of an issue.  Granted, getting everyone to be neat with their cable routing is not easy, but at least cables can be moved around.  The biggest issue for me is how the ears remain attached to the equipment while you insert or remove it.  If the ears/rails could be mounted to the empty rack U first and the switch slid in second (and the reverse for removal), that would be fine for me.  As it is now, there is basically no way to deal with the ears other than bending/destroying them on the way out.  And that doesn't solve the case for installing new switches in a dense rack.