rack rails

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Mon Mar 30 13:56:44 UTC 2020

On point #1, I typically look for a part number and use Google. If a
part number is present it often provide clues as to the brand, if not a
range of compatible models. If no part number, sometimes the finish can
provide clues - e.g. powder coated black rails or mounts often went with
other items that have a similar coating (Belkin KVMs, some UPS units),
while flat metal rails are common with other brands (Dell servers, Cisco
routers/switches). I've taken to wrapping rails together in plastic wrap
(the kind for wrapping pallets or moving boxes) and using a marker to
label each set. Makes life easier down the road.

On point #2, I've found that using the brand name rail can save me hours
of time. Either in easing the initial mounting or preventing problems
down the road if a server needs to be pulled for maintenance or
decommissioned. For anything that doesn't have a rail, and I find the
matching rails either prohibitively expensive or unavailable for
purchase, a rack mount shelf can be used. Find one that works well with
your racks to minimize the time required to mount/unmount. Good racks
can make all the difference here. If you use a lot of Dell servers,
Dell's newer racks provide plenty of depth for their servers and the
square holes are a perfect match for their square rails, making it
possible to rack servers in a couple minutes. I've found Dell racks (or
racks that work well with Dell servers) also work well with Cisco, APC,
and servers from other vendors. I have not found the reverse to be true
(e.g. racks made for network equipment often do not work well for many
servers). In short, my time was more valuable than the money saved on
struggling with mounting issues caused by bad rails or bad racks. Good
racks and good rails save time.

--Blake