ISC BIND 9 breakage?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Mar 26 06:29:19 UTC 2020

It was a glitch with the re-signing of the zone. There should be a official
report sometime tomorrow.  That said "dnssec-lookaside auto;" has been a no-op
in BIND since BIND 9.9.12, BIND 9.10.7, BIND 9.11.3 and a fatal configuration
error as of BIND 9.12.0.  We didn’t want the DLV lookup traffic and provides no
benefit as the zone has been empty since 2017.

If you have dnssec-lookaside configured in named.conf please remove it otherwise
the DLV code in the validator has to cryptographically prove that DLV records don’t
exist before returning that the response is insecure.  That requires talking to the
servers for dlv.isc.org.  It does this every hour for a active validating resolver
that is still running DNSSEC lookaside validation.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742              INTERNET: marka at isc.org