crypto frobs

John Kinsella jlk at thrashyour.com
Tue Mar 24 15:39:27 UTC 2020

To give it a mention, I’m a big fan of Duo Security. Auth requests are sent out-of-band to an authenticated app on your mobile device, you verify the request, then that’s sent back to the duo server and then to the requestor. I’ve used it with ssh and radius and it worked well.

Microsoft’s Authenticator app is interesting - a number is displayed in the app you’re trying to authenticate to, and you have to pick the same number in the app to prove before the app authenticates the request…but I don’t see that tech as being adopted by the networking folks...

In the end it comes down to what you need to secure, and how much effort you’re going to put into it. A yubikey/etc mitigates a risk of credential theft in a cheap, portable way that is frequently Good Enough.

John