Sunday traffic curiosity

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Mar 22 22:38:45 UTC 2020

On 22/Mar/20 23:36, Valdis Kl ē tnieks wrote:

> It failed to scale for some of the exact same reasons QoS failed to scale -
> what works inside one administrative domain doesn't work once it crosses domain
> boundaries.

This, for me, is one of the biggest reasons I feel inter-AS Multicast
does not work. Can you imagine trying to troubleshoot issues between two
or more separate networks?

At $previous_job, we carried and delivered IPTV streams from a head-end
that was under the domain of the broadcasting company. Co-ordination of
feed ingestion, e.t.c. got too complicated that we ended up agreeing to
take full management of the CE router. That isn't something you can
always expect; it worked for us because this was the first time it was
being done in the country.

> Plus, there's a lot more state to keep - if you think spanning tree gets ugly
> if the tree gets too big, think about what happens when the multicast covers
> 3,000 people in 117 ASN's, with people from multiple ASN's joining and leaving
> every few seconds.

We ran NG-MVPN which created plenty of RSVP-TE state in the core.

The next move to was migrate to mLDP just to simplify state management.
I'm not sure if the company ever did, as I had to leave.

Mark.