interesting troubleshooting

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Mar 22 08:17:54 UTC 2020

On 22/Mar/20 10:08, Adam Atkinson wrote:

> I don't know how well-known this is, and it may not be something many
> people would want to do, but Enterasys switches, now part of Extreme's
> portfolio, allow "round-robin" as a load-sharing algorithm on LAGs.
>
> see e.g.
>
> https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/How-to-configure-LACP-Output-Algorithm-as-Round-Robin
>

> This may not be the only product line supporting this.

So Junos does support both per-flow and per-packet load balancing on
LAG's on Trio line cards.

We tested this back in 2014 for a few months, and while the spread is
excellent (obviously), it creates a lot of out-of-order frame delivery
conditions, and all the pleasure & joy that goes along with that.

So we switched back to per-flow load balancing, and more recently, where
we run LAG's (802.1Q trunks between switches and an MX480 in the data
centre), we've gone 100Gbps so we don't have to deal with all this
anymore :-).

Mark.