It's not about the congestion, it's about the profit motive driving the industry

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Mar 21 22:26:46 UTC 2020

On 21/Mar/20 17:53, Saku Ytti wrote:

> If we (me included) would be half as angry about those who have less
> than we have, as we are about those who have more than we have,
> inequality wouldn't exist. We are the beneficiaries of immense
> suffering of millions of people, things are artificially cheap for us
> to buy at human cost 'somewhere else'. We are not the heroes of this
> story.

I clean my pool every morning. When I am holding the rod closer to the
leaf basket, I use less energy. When I am holding the rod farther from
the leaf basket, not only do I use more energy, but I have less control
of the guidance of the rod and basket, as it resists the water.

The businesses that will succeed in this new digital economy will be
those that empathize with customers, listen to them, engage them, and
provide them with value, regardless of their economic (mis)fortunes.

Those businesses that continue to push product and detach themselves
from how customers want to engage with them will quickly become irrelevant.

In the past, countries were set apart by their physical infrastructure;
those that had better infrastructure had a higher chance of succeeding
relative to those that didn't. Today (and in the future), regardless of
the tangible infrastructure one country has vs. another, the Internet is
the single most important thing that levels the playing field.

Today, a kid in Kigali has about the same opportunities as a kid in San
Francisco, to harness the Internet in order to make each of their lives
better.

The Internet in Australia is exactly the same as the Internet in Sao Paulo.

Mark.