COVID-19 vs. our Networks

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Mar 21 02:28:56 UTC 2020

On 20/Mar/20 16:15, Mike Hammett wrote:
> It's one of those most important things that matters.
>
> The end user likely won't notice the difference between 4k and 720p.
> They also aren't likely to notice the transition from one to the other.
>
> The person on the VPN, VoIP call, video conference, video game, etc.
> will very much notice the congested link, even if it's only a few seconds.
>

> Yes, Netflix video is very efficient, if not the most efficient.
> They're also one of if not the largest slingers of bits on the
> Internet. Small changes in usage of such a huge player totally eclipse
> most other usages on the Internet.
>
> https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306
>
> Netflix recommends 25 megs for Ultra HD, while only 5 megs for HD.
> That's a 5x difference in something people likely won't notice and
> would make a big difference on the additional VPN, VoIP, video
> conferencing, etc.

Considering that the telecoms sector is one of the most traveled group
of professional people around the world, on a 12-month basis, that would
mean all the meetings we hold, each week, somewhere in the world,
racking up air miles galore, was a total waste of time if it's all
reduced to this.

Don't let your Finance departments read this thread - they'll just cut
your travel budgets :-).

Mark.