interesting troubleshooting

Chris Adams cma at cmadams.net
Fri Mar 20 22:15:22 UTC 2020

Once upon a time, Nimrod Levy <nimrodl at gmail.com> said:
> With the increase in remote workers and VPN traffic that won't hash across
> multiple paths, I thought this anecdote might help someone else track down
> a problem that might not be so obvious.

Last week I ran into an issue where traffic between my home and work
networks had high latency, but only to certain IPs (even different IPs
on the same server).  Since my work network peers with my home provider,
I was able to go to the provider's NOC, and they were very helpful (they
ended up turning up more bandwidth).  I expect this was also a case of
one LAG member being congested, and my problem IP pairs were hashing to
that member.

My traffic wasn't VPN (SSH, with ping/mtr for testing), but it is
possible that somebody else's was - I didn't get detailed with the other
NOC.
--
Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net>