COVID-19 vs. peering wars

Adam Thompson athompson at merlin.mb.ca
Fri Mar 20 15:40:38 UTC 2020

Every large ISP does this (or rather, doesn't) at every IX in Canada.  Bell isn't unique by any stretch.

It's not in their economic interest to peer at a local IX, because from their perspective, the IX takes away business (Managed L2 point-to-point circuits, at the very least) from them.

Don't expect the dominant wireline ISP(s) in any region to join local IXes anytime soon, sadly, no matter how much it would benefit their customers.  After all, the customer is always free to purchase service to the IX and join the IX, right???  *grumble*

In my local case, if BellMTS joined MBIX, un-cached DNS resolution times could potentially drop by 15msec.  That's HUGE.  But the end-user experience is not their primary goal.  Their primary goal is profit, as always.

-Adam Thompson
 Founding member, MBIX (once upon a time)

Adam Thompson
Consultant, Infrastructure Services
MERLIN
100 - 135 Innovation Drive
Winnipeg, MB, R3T 6A8
(204) 977-6824 or 1-800-430-6404 (MB only)
athompson at merlin.mb.ca
www.merlin.mb.ca