COVID-19 vs. our Networks

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Fri Mar 20 14:53:37 UTC 2020

Citing 25M may be a bit of a stretch since A) 4k is reserved for ISPs
with a local cache (last time I checked), B) many (most?) Netflix
customers are not on 4k equipment, C) 4k requires a premium subscription
to Netflix at additional cost that not all customers have, D) the
customer must have ~25M or above service and not be experiencing
congestion on the path between the local Netflix cache and the
customer's equipment, and E) if even one of the above is not true the
Netflix user will typically receive a 3-5Mbps stream, depending on the
device and connection performance.

On the networks I monitor, forcing a ~3Mbps or lower Netflix stream
would have the effect of lowing the peak rate in the high demand hour,
wasting available equipment and capacity. It would not have the effect
of  improving VPN, VoIP, or video conferencing performance during the
hours that those applications are typically used and I would wager that
it would not have an appreciable effect on those applications even
during peak usage periods. If there were a WiFi or similar issue within
a specific household, the best way to address that is within the
household (either turning off unneeded devices, moving high demand
devices closer to the AP or wiring them, or upgrading to current WiFi
technology).

--Blake