COVID-19 vs. our Networks

Tom Beecher beecher at beecher.cc
Fri Mar 20 14:41:49 UTC 2020

It is something that matters, because it has the potential to set a
dangerous precedent.

If you say "$Service should reduce their bit rates because this is an
emergency!" , I guarantee that exact same argument will be made well after
this crisis has passed with a different definition of "emergency", and
adding on "well it's an emergency to me!".

Some of the pipes Netflix goes through is also used by other services that
> aren't as adaptable.

And how is that Netflix's responsibility? They have already taken action to
ramp down bitrates when they detect congestion. Why should other
applications be able to say piss off, I don't want to? Didn't we just have
a 10 year net neutrality argument that we're not supposed to want to treat
the bits differently?