COVID-19 vs. peering wars

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Thu Mar 19 22:14:34 UTC 2020

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 10:27 AM Mike Bolitho <mikebolitho at gmail.com> wrote:

> *Restoration:*
>
> *The repair or returning to service of one or more telecommunications
> services that have experienced a service outage or are unusable for any
> reason, including a damaged or impaired telecommunications facility. Such
> repair or returning to service may be done by patching, rerouting,
> substitution of component parts or pathways, and other means, as determined
> necessary by a service vendor.*
>

> https://www.cisa.gov/sites/default/files/publications/OEC%20TSP%20Operations%20Guide%20Final%2012062016_FINAL%20508C.pdf
>

> My understanding, and what we did while I worked for a Tier I ISP, was
> that even for degraded circuits we had to do everything in our power to
> restore to full operations. If capacity is an issue and causes TSP coded
> DIA circuits to be unusable then that falls under the "any reason" clause
> of that line.
>
> - Mike Bolitho

If you're going to bang that drum, the place you're going to get the most
buck-for-your-bang is using it to force better cooperation between ISPs.

It appears that baking cakes was not sufficient to get recalcitrant players
to work together.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mpetach/4031195041

Perhaps a global pandemic may be sufficient to have government begin to
*compel* networks to interconnect at locations at which they share common
peering infrastructure?

If you're worried about congestion and performance, that would be the place
to start pushing.

Matt
staying safely at home away from the flame-fest that may ensue from this.
^_^;