UDP/123 policers & status

Steven Sommars stevesommarsntp at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 02:43:32 UTC 2020

 NTS is initialized using a relatively expensive, but short lived, TCP TLS
session.  NTP loss due to rate limiting will require more frequent TCP
initializations.

The NTP size-blocks I've observed have been hard, not rate limits.  Martin
Langer provided a table showing sizes between 228 and 1468 bytes depending
on the encryption algorithm and number of cookies.  I've asked the NTS
authors about potential workarounds, but suspect it would be difficult.
The authors have also confirmed that size blocks have been detected during
NTS tests.

The secure time transfer of NTS was designed to avoid amplification
attacks.  Impairment of UDP port 123 could require use of alternate UDP
port(s), which might be unpopular.