Internet operations during pandemics

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Thu Mar 19 13:27:33 UTC 2020

Many years ago (1990s) I worked for a startup in NYC. We had a
conference room called "Conference Room S", this was a semi-reserved
loft are in the Starbucks across the street, with an open tab[0].
The leads for each group had the project to design the DR / BCP plans
for the entire organization, and so we had a daily, 1 hour meeting in
Conf Room S.

Instead of actually working on the DR plan, we used the time to get
other work done - it was quiet, there was wifi, there were no
interruptions, there was free coffee...

After a few months the CTO asked us to finish up and give him the
plans... so, we wrote:
Step 1: Panic !!!
Step 2: Sell stock options (if any...)[1]
Step 3: Post resume on Monster.com
Step 4: ...

We printed up a bunch of copies of this, put it in an envelope,
labeled it as "DR plan - open in case of disaster" and gave it to the
CTO -- we fully expected him to open it, shout at us for a bit and /
or chuckle resignedly, and then demand we actually do something useful
- but, instead, something much much worse occurred... he thanked us,
and locked it, unopened, in his filing cabinet. As blinked and asked
him if he was going to read it, and he said "No, I trust you to have
done a good job..."

We felt *really* bad, and worked late over the next few weeks and
weekends to actually make a good BCP/DR plan, and then confessed our
sins. We also ran table-tops, distributed and tested the plans, etc..

I've always wondered whether the CTO somehow knew what we'd been up to
- because of our guilt, the quality / comprehensiveness of the plan
ended up much better than it would have otherwise...

[0]: We thought that we were super cool for this...
[1]: This was an ongoing joke - the company was always "almost ready"
to go public...

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 8:35 AM Andrew Latham <lathama at gmail.com> wrote:

> In my past it has always benefited me to set use cases and plan accordingly. For many it is difficult to imagine these less than awesome use cases. Having working to get datacentres back online in 8.8 earthquakes and dealing with fires in co-location sites it is hard.
>
> 1. Document
> 2. Generate use cases, DR plans, OOBM, document peers phone numbers offline
> 3. Implement, share, discuss
> 4. Profit
>
> While this sounds ideal and simple it is not a small effort. I have two talks I must finish up where on is on *Organizations as Code* and how to survive the worst.
>

> On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 5:25 PM Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Did other folk on nanog-l see the nLnog-l note copied here?
>> I wonder how folk are planning for things (noted in the slides)
>>   o  supply chain for parts/equipment
>>      Wait, I can't get me a new shiny shipped because what??
>>
>>   o ongoing rollout of new equipment
>>      I'm deploying next week in KIX, I'm currently in LAX how do I get
>> there? equipment arrives.. in between...oops!
>>
>>   o noc/etc support staff
>>     omg.. wait, I can't have my noc staff in the same room? our 'wfh'
>> solution is ... wait, where is that?
>>     how do i get their phone queue sent to them? omg :( <sadness!>
>>
>>   o services capacity crunches
>>     I love my shiny new dns service.. .wait, why is there a smoking
>> hole where my dns servers were?
>>
>> I think some of this has been discussed (shifts in peaks, leveling of peaks)
>> Some hasn't really...  I expect that at least sharing some 'err, our
>> WFH changed now we do: X, Y , Z and use M to get N solved'
>> could be super cool to discuss/share and iterate for better solutions
>> for all of our users.
>>
>> thoughts? :)
>>
>> thanks!
>> -chris
>> (note all the hard work in this message is not mine... thanks Job!)

idea in the first place.
of pants.
   ---maf