Fwd: Internet operations during pandemics

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 22:23:27 UTC 2020

Did other folk on nanog-l see the nLnog-l note copied here?
I wonder how folk are planning for things (noted in the slides)
  o  supply chain for parts/equipment
     Wait, I can't get me a new shiny shipped because what??

  o ongoing rollout of new equipment
     I'm deploying next week in KIX, I'm currently in LAX how do I get
there? equipment arrives.. in between...oops!

  o noc/etc support staff
    omg.. wait, I can't have my noc staff in the same room? our 'wfh'
solution is ... wait, where is that?
    how do i get their phone queue sent to them? omg :( <sadness!>

  o services capacity crunches
    I love my shiny new dns service.. .wait, why is there a smoking
hole where my dns servers were?

I think some of this has been discussed (shifts in peaks, leveling of peaks)
Some hasn't really...  I expect that at least sharing some 'err, our
WFH changed now we do: X, Y , Z and use M to get N solved'
could be super cool to discuss/share and iterate for better solutions
for all of our users.

thoughts? :)

thanks!
-chris
(note all the hard work in this message is not mine... thanks Job!)