DHS letters for fuel and facility access

Paul Nash paul at nashnetworks.ca
Wed Mar 18 16:58:29 UTC 2020

You just have to make sure that you test the right thing.

In a former life I was an electrical engineer. My first job was with a consulting engineering firm; out biggest customer was the biggest supermarket chain in South Africa.  One of my tasks was to travel to one of their stores each Saturday after closing (those were the days when they closed at noon on a Saturday until Monday morning) and test their stand generators.

The manager’s idea was usually to press the start button, check that the big diesel started, then shut down and go home.  My idea was to pull the main incoming breaker.  9 times out of 10 on first visit, the diesel would start, and then die as soon as the load kicked in because of carbon buildup in the cylinders.

After discussions with the supermarket management, they decided to (a) have all the diesels serviced ASAP, and (b) adopt my protocol of start diesel, wait for it to come under load, run for at least 30 minutes to get up to heat and clear the carbon deposits.

I use a similar technique for failover tests on servers, routers, firewalls — pull the power cord and see what happens, pull the incoming network and see what happens.

This was stymied by a recent network outage where the ISP network was up and running, connected back to their local PoP and thence to their backbone, but connectivity from that network to the critical servers was down.  So now we test end-to-end that the server is reachable, and let the network fail over if not.

	paul