COVID-19 vs. our Networks

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Mar 18 15:46:20 UTC 2020

On 18/Mar/20 11:43, Keith Medcalf wrote:

> No.  One simply has to assign a "cost" to "suitability for use".  For
> example, if you put out an RFQ for a CT Machine and someone bids a bag
> of peanuts for $1.50, that is probably the lowest bid, and that is what
> you will get if you choose based entirely on the lowest bid.  However,
> if you also require that the purchased machine also actually be capable
> of performing Computed Tomography then clearly that $1.50 bid will be
> rejected.
>
> You simply have to define what you want to achieve, then do it.

If only it were that simple, with 2020 corporate life.

What I can say tends to work is:

    "You simply have to define what you want to achieve, scream, yell and
     shout, then do it, then scream, yell and shout some more, until you
can't
    tell whether you'll leave the job from being fed up or being asked
to walk".

That has a slightly better chance of succeeding more than failing.

I'm old now - I ask once, maybe twice if I've had a beer. Then I carry
on, and we meet in 12 months when it all goes to hell :-).

Mark.