UDP/123 policers & status

Steven Sommars stevesommarsntp at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 22:12:17 UTC 2020

The various NTP filters (rate limits, packet size limits) are negatively
affecting the NTP Pool, the new secure NTP protocol (Network Time Security)
and other clients.  NTP filters were deployed several years ago to solve
serious DDoS issues, I'm not second guessing those decisions.  Changing the
filters to instead block NTP mode 7, which cover monlist and other
diagnostics, would improve NTP usability.

http://www.leapsecond.com/ntp/NTP_Suitability_PTTI2020_Revised_Sommars.pdf