COVID-19 vs. our Networks

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Tue Mar 17 21:47:31 UTC 2020

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 11:35:59AM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
> Anything in the healthcare vertical that is outside of the medical
> providers control/ownership is a result of the medical provider
> buying into that model on some level. STOP DOING THAT.  (How am I
> suddenly reminded of the old adage ???Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I
> do this!??????)
>
> I understand how the allure of lower costs and the frustration of ???every
> vendor does this, we can???t find one who doesn???t??? plays out. However,
> the only way ???every vendor does it??? will continue is if every vendor
> continues to be able to make sales without changing.

Fought this battle, lost this battle.

Why?

Because the people with the authority to make purchasing decisions are
not the people who will be on the phone to some vendor's tech support at
3 AM on a Sunday morning, frantically pleading with them to fix a problem
because they really need that piece of equipment to work right now.

Decisions are no longer based on the greater good or on anticipating worst
case scenarios or on maximizing preparedness or anything that we might
hope they're based on.  They're based, coldly and calculatingly, on money.

If you want this to change -- and I sure would like it to change --
then money needs to be entirely removed from that calculation.  That is
a problem whose solution lies outside the scope of NANOG.

Meanwhile, I've updated this:

	Covid19
	http://www.firemountain.net/covid19.html

to include some more resources, including CORD-19, which compiles tens
of thousands of papers on the virus in one place.  I've also included
a link to the relevant Folding at Home project -- which could probably
use as much CPU as you can throw at it.

---rsk