COVID-19 vs. our Networks

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Mar 17 18:26:15 UTC 2020

> On Mar 17, 2020, at 02:41 , Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 16/Mar/20 21:08, Owen DeLong wrote:
>>
>>> This simply isn’t true…
>>>
>>> Listen to qualified medical professionals, especially those who
>>> specialize in infectious diseases and epidemiology.
>
> YEs listen to them.
>
> This morning they say: everyone can get it, there is no age or pre-conditio.

They’ve always said “everyone can get it, there’s no age or pre-condition”.

The age and pre-existing condition thing comes into play in defining the probability that you will get a severe case of it. That advice hasn’t changed.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html

If You Are at Higher Risk
alert icon
Who is at higher risk?
Early information out of China, where COVID-19 first started, shows that some people are at higher risk of getting very sick from this illness. This includes:
Older adults
People who have serious chronic medical conditions like:
Heart disease
Diabetes
Lung disease
> That''s it.  They dont know, and worse they dont say they dont know.

Actually, they do say they don’t know (about the things they don’t know). For example:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/transmission.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Fabout%2Ftransmission.html

COVID-19 is a new disease and we are still learning how it spreads, the severity of illness it causes, and to what extent it may spread in the United States.

> I am an engineer, I am not medical professional, my question is: is there a device to detect the virus with the crown in the air and light up a led?

No… No such device exists for Corona Virus at this time. Such a device is not easily developed.

> (we do have such devices for VOC, for CO2, PM2, PM10 pollution, and many other things in the air; but about virus with a rcown?)

Detecting a virus in the air is much more complicated than detecting VOC, CO2, PM2.5 (presumably what you meant by PM2), or PM10.

PM2.5 and PM10 are a simple size test. CO2 is a molecule that is easy to detect through a simple electrochemical process. VOC are
a class of hydrocarbons that all share certain chemical properties which are easily detected through a simple electrochemical process.

It should also be noted that such devices even for the chemicals they can detect require a certain concentration of that chemical.

On the other hand, a single airborne virion can be enough to cause a widespread epidemic. If that single virion is “lucky” enough to find
a compatible host cell and get the cell to start replicating it, then you can quickly get lots more copies of that virion which then seek out
additional host cells and additional hosts to make even more, and so on.

Viruses are not. Viruses are very tiny intracellular parasites where very subtle chemical differences cause massively different effects on humans.

They consist of an RNA or DNA genome surrounded by a protective virus-coded protein coat. More information here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK8174/

Currently, the best we can do is a test to detect coronavirus infection in a person after they are infected and symptomatic.

So for now, stay indoors with your family and if you’ve got a sick sense of humor like I do, play one or more of the Pandemic board games (if you happen to own them).

Owen