UDP/123 policers & status

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Mar 17 14:53:51 UTC 2020

I’m curious what people are seeing these days on the UDP/123 policers in their networks.

I know while I was at NTT we rolled some out, and there are a number of variants that have occurred over the past 6-7 years.  I’ve heard from people at the NTP Pool as well as having observed some issues with NTP at Akamai and time sync from time to time.

Are you still seeing a lot of NTP attacks in your flows these days?

Should we be looking to remove these, similar to how we did for SQL/Slammer after a time?

- Jared