COVID-19 vs. our Networks

Alexandre Petrescu alexandre.petrescu at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 13:21:22 UTC 2020

Le 17/03/2020 à 13:26, Grzegorz Janoszka a écrit :
> On 2020-03-16 15:04, Alexandre Petrescu wrote:
>> There is no other way to do that information filterning now. Nobody
>> has any authority of knowing better than others.
>
> There is a good word for information filtering. It is called
> 'censorship'.
>
> Times like now are perfect opportunity to limit the remains of our
> freedom.
>
> Please think twice before you complain for lack of information
> filtering. Because the government will surely make you happy.

Excuse me, misunderstood.

If I complain something, it is the following: there is not enough
information from Authority to people.  In some places, especially where
I live, there is no precise information about number of cases to
particular cities, the cases profile, age profile, etc. I suspect it
might because they are overwhelmed, or because they dont want to scare
others.  Two differennt things.  I dont know.

If I want something, it is the folowing: all channels of comm must be
open and info must flow.  There is much noise, but it is easy for end
user to filter.  MUA filtering is such a case.

We need more information, not less.

We need trust.

The threat analysis is different than before.  We need security, but
other kinds of security.  Short easy to remember passwords are ok; what
is not ok is to hold information that is important.  Just let it flow
and we'll see.  What is not ok it to shut people because apparently they
distribute two times same thing.  That holding should not happen; there
is no problem if info is distributed two times.  Channels should be open
info should flow.

There are not enough open source projects for gene analysis
(nextstrain.org), not enough open source projects for respiratory
devices, not enough open source projects for air detection of virus
devices (if a such thing can exist).  There are not enough tests, not
enough masks, not enough many things.

There are too many alternatives of 'secure communications': WhatsApp,
Signal, Telegram.  It is fragmentation.  Too much choice, too few people
in each group.  They claim one is more secure than the other, but secure
against whom?  Do you think there might be a human attacker that resists
virus and who can attack some email account?  If such a thing existed
then we would know how s/he did to resist to virus in virst place.

There are too many Certificate Authorities that are not trusting each other.

We need trust, and we need to develop our brains as someone seemed to
say here.

Alex