COVID-19 vs. our Networks

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Mar 17 09:20:23 UTC 2020

On 16/Mar/20 16:54, Carsten Bormann wrote:

> I recently had to reschedule an X-ray because the license manager for the X-ray machine was acting up.  I don’t think people have a grasp for how much of the medical infrastructure no longer works when the Internet is down.

I get this, to some extent. But also, there is a reason hospitals,
airports and military installations are either put on special power
grids or invest plenty of money in backup power.

If an x-ray machine won't work because the Internet is down, I'm not
sure that is responsible. As inefficient as it may be to have a license
server on-prem if there is an option to check against one in the public
cloud, for a medical use-case, that would make more sense to me.

Mark.