backtracking forged packets?

cpolish at surewest.net cpolish at surewest.net
Tue Mar 17 02:18:33 UTC 2020

On 2020-03-13 23:23, William Herrin wrote:
> Can anyone suggest tools, techniques and helpful contacts for
> backtracking spoofed packets? At the moment someone is forging TCP
> syns from my address block. I'm getting the syn/ack and icmp
> unreachable backscatter. Enough that my service provider briefly
> classified it a DDOS. I'd love to find the culprit.

FWIW, Bellovin et al proposed an ICMP traceback mechanism in 2001
( https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-itrace-04 ), but it seems
not to have progressed. Abstract:

     It is often useful to learn the path that packets take through the
     Internet, especially when dealing with certain denial-of-service
     attacks. We propose a new ICMP message, emitted randomly by routers
     along the path and sent randomly to the destination (to provide
     useful information to the attacked party) or to the origin (to
     provide information to decipher reflector attacks).

--
Chuck Polisher