COVID-19 vs. our Networks

Alexandre Petrescu alexandre.petrescu at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 17:12:42 UTC 2020

Le 16/03/2020 à 15:22, Mark Tinka a écrit :

> On 16/Mar/20 16:04, Alexandre Petrescu wrote:
>

>> There is no other way to do that information filterning now. Nobody
>> has any authority of knowing better than others.
>>
>> MUAs filters yes. (mail user agent)
>>
>> Look at all data you receive, identify patterns, then act. That's all
>> one can do now.
>>
>> There are easily identifiable patterns.
>>
>> Develop trust.
> I'd say "develop brains" :-).
>
> A lot of people are only too happy to be led, they want to believe
> anything that comes out of a leader's mouth, especially if that leader
> said it on TV, or on Twitter.
>
> Worse, a lot of people want to be "the 1st" to show that they knew
> something before anyone else, so they can come off as "the source of
> truth".

I must say I agree with you on that 'be the 1st to know' thing. Some
behaviour like that of blogger (no offence, sorry), or of a person
looking to create reputation quickly, ie create a safe situation quickly
for self, is happening.  Whistle blower is one such case too.  I myself
find myself often in such situation and, humanly, inherently, look some
times to improve reputation.  I admit that for myself.

Some of these whistle blowers also some times act out of conviction,
which is laudable.   Some law protects them.

But also, there are other things.  Under these circumnstances, there are
many such people - 1st announcers.  But too many of them are in
private.  Some worry their gov't might chain them, others worry it might
not really be so, so their reputation is at risk, others worry to talk
about their private data to public lists. Some look to reinforce their
leadership position, others to go up on the ladder, others look to save,
and probably more other reasons.

Despite all that, I believe it might be that there might not be enough
of them, these "1st to know" announcers.  I still think that at this
time there are still a majority of people that dont believe this is
true, or that it is a conspiracy, or that it wont affect me, or tha
tit's just a 'flu' (from Influenza).

For my part, I have a hard time to persuade members of my immediate
circle of people about the dangerosity of this.  It's in steps: they
accept some danger but not bigger, accept bigger but not even bigger.
Few if any accept to go from 0 to total acceptance of what's happening
in 1 day or so.  One can see that acceptance time in the time difference
between the 2 weeks of inception, to the 3 months of the event up/down
in China.  Looking now retrospectively, some question the following: if
China quickly closed everything in 2 weeks after the first cases, would
we still be where we are now?

But, as someone adviced on this list, I also look to save my energy.

Alex

PS: By this I also respond to another topic, to another poster on this
email list, that I know from IETF, to share that a cousin of mine just
got her long time planned surgery cancelled  (reported to a new date do
be defined).  IT is a condition on which the bad thing can evolve badly,
and shes unhappy no surgery now.