Re: China’s Slow Transnational Network

Frank Habicht geier at geier.ne.tz
Sun Mar 15 20:51:40 UTC 2020

On 15/03/2020 13:07, Mark Tinka wrote:
> On 15/Mar/20 09:55, Pengxiong Zhu wrote:
>
>> I know Caida has one paper on the congestion on Africa's IXPs substrate.
>
> I can't think of a single IXP in Africa that is "congested".

thanks for the "quotes", Mark. I agree.

https://www.caida.org/publications/presentations/2018/investigating_causes_congestion_african_afrinic/investigating_causes_congestion_african_afrinic.pdf

page 23:
Results Overview
• No evidence of widespread congestion
   - 2.2% of discovered link showed evidence of congestion at the end of
     our measurements campaign

page 34:
Conclusions
• Measured IXPs were congestion-free, which promotes peering in the
  region

https://conferences.sigcomm.org/imc/2017/papers/imc17-final182.pdf

my conclusion: s/congestion/congestion or the lack thereof/g

Frank Habicht

PS: yes, i could name peers that once had inadequate links into an IXP.
but for how long did that happen? (yes..., any minute is too long...)