COVID-19 vs. our Networks

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Mar 15 15:13:45 UTC 2020

On 15/Mar/20 16:59, Keith Medcalf wrote:
> If it is "critical" you need a dedicated circuit.  If it is "meh, who gives a shit", then you can go though the Internet.
>
> The root of the issue is that some idiot did a bad Risk Assessment.  Hope it got fired or killed so it won't do this again in the future.
>
> Hope you also learned something as well.  Freedom of the Press belongs to He Who Owns the Press.  If you are using someone else's presses (particularly without directly paying and contracting with that party for the use of their presses), you will live or die according to the whim of the owner of the Press, and there is SFA you can do about that.  That is how the world has worked for billions of years.  You would think people would understand that by now.

The Internet has become its own enemy.

The time I realized it gives people more mental than practical hope in
the possibility of anything is when a pre-sales engineer once asked me
if we could deliver a circuit to a customer without using a CPE, because
that would increase their acquisition costs. RFC's 1149, 2549 and 6214
came to memory. This was 2012.

The Internet has become so ubiquitous and inspired significant (almost
unreasonable) possibilities that it is just about preposterous to
convince those that need to sign invoices that "Ummh, you get what you
pay for is as relevant in 2020 as it was in 1980".

Then again, you can buy an SDN or an SD-WAN or an IoT, to back up your
Big Data over the 5G connection you gathered it, and all will be well.

Mark.