sflow -> aggregated aspath visualization?

Yang Yu yang.yu.list at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 11:32:05 UTC 2020

<https://techfieldday.com/video/kentik-interconnection-and-metrics-from-kentik-for-service-provider-networks/>

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 12:33 PM Adam Thompson <athompson at merlin.mb.ca>
wrote:

> I’m looking for product recommendations:
>

> We’ve noticed that about 20% of our traffic here lately has decamped from
> the free (or, at least, flat-rate) connection to CANARIE (our R&E network)
> and its various connected content-delivery networks, and onto our
> commercial provider.
>
> While this is presumptively a legitimate shift, we’d like to better
> understand these changes when they occur, in a way that our executive can
> understand at a glance.
>
> We do have sFlow (et al.) going to an Arbor PeakFlow box for analysis, but
> it’s lacklustre at best at understanding changes like this.
>
> I want:
>
>    - Top #n ASNs by traffic volume, per router/interface, stacked chart
>    - Some way to visualize large jumps in that dataset, e.g. if
>    Cloudflare ditched their CANARIE connection and now that traffic all goes
>    commercial, I don’t know what sort of graphic would be useful, maybe a
>    stacked polar chart so you could see when an AS jumped from one sector to
>    another?  Even stacked bar charts could be useful.

I haven't used Kentik in production, but heard good things about it

https://techfieldday.com/video/the-kentik-experience-an-overview-demo-with-akshay-dhawale/
https://techfieldday.com/video/kentik-interconnection-and-metrics-from-kentik-for-service-provider-networks/

Just a reminder network devices might not export 100% samples/flows
correctly (sampling rate/export rate limitation, dropped packets on
ingress/egress, recirculated packet, policy routing actions, multiple
routing tables/vrf). The accuracy/availability of metadata in flow itself
(sFlow Extended Flow Data, sFlow input/output/source interface, IPFIX
information elements that are not directly extracted from packet lookup
header) might have limitations