COVID-19 vs. our Networks

Brian K Miller bkmille at clemson.edu
Thu Mar 12 22:33:12 UTC 2020

I am on the university enterprise network side and on the state research and education network ISP-ish side.  Our users are the ones that will no longer be using either network, and going to their home connections, so my focus has been dealing with "AHHH something is broken" and it being that the user never used wifi for work at home, or 5 or 6 users go "AHHHHH we just dropped our RDP sessions" during the last couple of days.  After teaching users traceroute and how to google "what is my IPv4 address" they were on the same ISP, crossing a peering point that is historically congested, but is already getting worse the first day of the "trial" for important staff.

I am only going to be running traceroutes back and forth for like the next couple to few weeks or however long I am on house arrest.  They closed our campus after spring break, which starts at 5pm tomorrow (as does my fun week of maintenances), currently for another week.

I have never been so fearful of an IX as I am today.

Brian Miller
Network Engineering and Architecture
Clemson University and the C-Light Network
AS2721, AS2722, AS12148