AT&T is suspending broadband data caps for home internet customers due to coronavirus

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Mar 13 06:19:18 UTC 2020

On 13/Mar/20 04:00, Jared Mauch wrote:

> Yes, this is what I’m concerned about.  Most of the content/cloud people have built networks around the capacity needed to get bits into the networks and often aggressively peer.
>
> The corporate office that is behind one incumbent that now has a global set of people doing VPN activities at 10x the prior capacity of a week ago may have a harder time fitting.

What we've done, over the years, is build OpenVPN servers both in the
office as well as the local data centre within the same city. This way,
staff have the option of connecting to either one, whether for reasons
of balancing load, managing office outages, accounting for maintenance,
e.t.c.

I generally connect to the one in the data centre, because then I'm
avoiding our local Metro-E network to get to the office one :-). But
some times, one of them won't be available, so having the option for a
2nd local one is always good.

Mark.