COVID-19 vs. our Networks

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Mar 13 06:07:22 UTC 2020

On 12/Mar/20 21:37, Jared Mauch wrote:

> I’m expecting that despite the usual game and download/streaming events, the baseline usage during the daytime is going to tick up significantly eating into network margin.  Hopefully everyone has your upgrades on order due to the aforementioned lead-time issues.  Hopefully everything is back to normal in 4-6 weeks.

On this side of the world, no major policies yet to force staff to work
from home.

But we are currently facing plenty of power generation shortages in
South Africa specifically, and while offices have generators and such,
most homes do not. So the problem with working from home is some people
won't be able to until they either install alternative power sources or
national power generation normalizes.

Over the years, we've built a myriad of pfSense-based OpenVPN servers
across several countries and cities so staff can always connect to the
closest one when traveling or working from home. Traffic flow is
non-split, and because they've been upgraded almost every year, we don't
anticipate load issues if more people are out of the office.

We've reduced reliance on internal VoIP PABX systems for conference
calls since dumping WebEx and going Zoom nearly 2 years ago. Everyone
knows how to use it, and we use it rather frequently, so folk can still
have their meetings as usual.

Mark.