AT&T is suspending broadband data caps for home internet customers due to coronavirus

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Fri Mar 13 02:00:44 UTC 2020

> On Mar 12, 2020, at 6:55 PM, Sean Donelan <sean at donelan.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 12 Mar 2020, Tom Paseka wrote:
>> I am not worried. Residential ISPs are usually at peak in the late evening.
>> They have loads of capacity during the day.
>
> Do they have capacity to the right places?
>
> The evening traffic peak is usually streaming entertainment bits from CDNs on the edge of the network.
>
> Work From Home seems to be VPNs going between residential to business ISPs interconnections and lots of videoconferencing services (zoom, webex, etc).

Yes, this is what I’m concerned about.  Most of the content/cloud people have built networks around the capacity needed to get bits into the networks and often aggressively peer.

The corporate office that is behind one incumbent that now has a global set of people doing VPN activities at 10x the prior capacity of a week ago may have a harder time fitting.

I expect there will be areas which see a higher base load that contributes to seeing the peaks earlier.

- Jared