Chairman Pai Proposes Mandating STIR/SHAKEN To Combat Robocalls

Stephen Satchell list at satchell.net
Sun Mar 8 22:29:16 UTC 2020

On 3/8/20 9:59 AM, Damian Menscher via NANOG wrote:
> In the robocall case, there*is*  something the end user can do to fight the
> abuse: answer every call, and keep them on the line as long as possible.
> They are paying for connected calls, for the connection duration, and for
> the humans to scam people.  If everyone tarpitted them, the business model
> would fail.

+1

When I recognize the name and number on caller ID, I'll answer in the
usual manner.

I answer calls when I don't recognize the name or number, but say
nothing.  The caller then drops the connection, usually in 10 seconds --
and I hear the disconnect -- and usually my cordless phone's base
station notices the disconnect as well.  (Yes, I still have a standard
POTS line.)

What if it's an unknown person but otherwise valid and not robo-call?
They will notice the ringback tone stopping and will say "Hello, hello?"
at which point I can have a conversation.  (Some robocallers will notice
the ringback tone stopping and start their automated spew, at which
point I press "Off.")

This helps keep my blood pressure low, keeps my answering machine from
filling up with useless calls, and I feel good that someone just spent a
nickle for nothing.