Chairman Pai Proposes Mandating STIR/SHAKEN To Combat Robocalls

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sun Mar 8 00:46:33 UTC 2020

> Most DNS registers avoid verifying customer information as long as the
> payment clears (for a short time).  DKIM (and DNSSEC) is built on top of
> trusting tokens from third-parties which disclaim all liability.

Right.  The only promise that DKIM makes is that if you have a stream of
mail signed by the same domain, you can praise or blame the same entity
for it.  It's a handle that recipient systems can use to build a
reputation system, not a whitelist.  DKIM has worked this way since 2006,
the documentation is entirely clear that's what it does, and I'm kind of
surprised you haven't gotten the memo.

> Phone companies and advertisers have already demonstrated they can't be
> trusted to act as third-party introducers.

No kidding.  I've talked to people at big telcos who are in the middle
of STIR/SHAKEN and they tell me they plan to use it pretty much the same
way that mail providers use DKIM.  Some senders will have a good
reputation and their calls will be delivered, some won't, and not so much.
As with mail, it also provides a handle to push back on people sending
unwanted junk.

> Eventually we'll have STE/STU-equivalent end-to-end verification on our
> smartphones.

That's known not to work for e-mail spam, so I can't imagine why anyone
would expect it to work for phone calls.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl at taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",