Chairman Pai Proposes Mandating STIR/SHAKEN To Combat Robocalls

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 18:50:33 UTC 2020

On Sat, Mar 7, 2020 at 1:11 PM Michael Thomas <mike at mtcc.com> wrote:

> On 3/7/20 9:53 AM, Christopher Morrow wrote:

> >> On the contrary: billing is easy. Getting it right is hard.
> >

> > I like that Mr Thomas's answer: "Why can't we just cryptpgraphically
> > sign the caller's ANI and use that as a method to ID real callers we
> > care about?"
> > since that was my suggestion to the stir folk in their very first
> > meeting... "what about ebony phones!" said the lawyer from
> > telco-ville.
>
> Well to be clear, i think it's high time to just ignore the old pstn
> identity stuff altogether and just use the SIP From.

that too was my message 12 yrs ago... I thought:
  1) cell phones and anything like a cell phone (sip things)  can 'just do this'
  2) anything not in category1 could have the data stamped by the
thing electrically connected to it (in the CO)

really, this isn't TOO hard, and it enables a new business in the
'directory of certs' business...
and clear info to the endpoints about the caller:
  "This number says 1900-foo-bart, but that's not matching the Cert I
have for FooBart services? fake-call!"

lots of good options there, little interest from 'telco lawyer troll'
in the room. #ebonyphone!